Best Treatment for Headaches
Botti Chiropractic & Wellness | Best Treatment for Headaches
An excruciating headache can cause an imbalance in your life. Now, there can be several causes of a headache. Some may occur due to stress, lack of sleep, excessive medication, alcohol abuse, or diet-related issues. While many people still consider using conventional medicine to treat a headache, attention is slowly shifting toward alternative methods such as chiropractic care, acupuncture, etc. The former has been getting lots of attention over the last few years, and that’s mainly because it comprises a combination of active and passive exercises, spinal manipulation, and massage; these all help to manage and prevent headaches.
All of the recent buzz around using chiropractic care for headaches has given rise to the question: could this be the best treatment?
Let’s see how and why chiropractic care is effective in managing different types of headaches.
Cervicogenic headaches are the ones that start with a one-sided pain at the back of the head that slowly spreads to the front. It is often accompanied by shoulder or arm pain. In many cases, a cervicogenic headache can be triggered by an injury or caused by an underlying neck problem.
As this type of headache does not receive much relief from medicines, spinal manipulation techniques through chiropractic care are the best method for pain relief.
Here are some chiropractic options to treat cervicogenic headaches:
- Spinal Manipulation: In this, a trained chiropractic healthcare provider uses their hands or a special device to apply controlled pressure to specific joints of the spine. It helps in treating headaches caused by cervical pains in the neck and surrounding areas of the body.
- Joint Mobilization: In joint mobilization, the joints are moved in a way to stimulate improved movement and reduce pain. This therapy mainly focuses on managing the headaches that happen due to cervical neck pain.
- Neck Flexion Exercises: Deep neck flexion exercises can help in moving the joints and muscles. In this, the patient has to lie on the floor and do a series of exercises such as chin tucks and head nodding.
Headaches accompanied by nausea or dizziness are known as migraines. There are many medicines and therapies that help in treating acute migraine episodes. When it comes to chiropractic care, the following are some methods to treat a migraine:
- Neuromuscular Massage: This special type of neuromuscular massage focuses on the trigger points on the shoulder, neck, back, and head.
- Multidisciplinary Care Intervention: This chiropractic intervention includes a combination of relaxation techniques, physical therapy exercises, stress management, and dietary counseling. Together, these prove to be effective in reducing pain, duration, and frequency of migraine headaches.
Tension in the head, neck, or shoulder muscles can often lead to tension headaches. While spinal manipulation does not help much, here are some chiropractic treatments that help in treating tension headaches:
- Low-load Craniocervical Mobilization: This form of chiropractic mobilization uses less pressure than is used in spinal manipulation. It includes rhythmic movements of the cervical segments. Also, stretching is a part of this intervention.
At Botti Chiropractic & Wellness, we meet many patients who are looking for a professional Oak Lawn chiropractor to help them heal and manage headaches long-term. We ensure the utmost care and a methodological process for treating headaches.
Schedule an Appointment with Dr. Valentino Botti Today
Troubled by a splitting headache? Are migraines robbing you of a full and happy life? Book an appointment with Dr. Valentino Botti, who is an experienced Oak Lawn chiropractor. He will help you manage your headache pain and prevent it from occurring in the future. Contact him to get the right treatment for your condition.