Disc Herniation Oak Lawn, IL
Botti Chiropractic & Wellness | Chiropractor Oak Lawn
One of the most common conditions that we often find at Botti Chiropractic & Wellness is disc herniation or a slipped disc/ruptured disc. For most patients, a herniated disc typically impacts the neck or the lower back. This condition is a result of when the cushion or padding that protects the vertebrae is no longer in the right position. As a result, the nerves around it are being placed under more pressure, resulting in disc herniation. If you are suffering from any back pain, get seen by the best chiropractor Oak Lawn.
What Causes Herniated Disc?
Simply put, a herniated disc is merely a result of either an injury or overuse of the discs in the spine. In addition to this, disc herniation can also be a result of an individual aging, which we will cover shortly. Recently, experts are beginning to draw conclusions that there may be a genetic aspect to this as well. What we know for sure is that a herniated disc will only take a maximum of six months to heal. This is can be attributed to resorption.
As one ages, the human body changes. When it comes to the spine, the discs actually exponentially lose fluid volumes over the years- starting at age 30. Due to this, it poses the threat of tears or cracks, leaving the disc at risk. Here are a few of the most common causes of a herniated disk:
- Normal wear and tear: As an individual ages, discs are prone to drying out, leading to wear and tear.
- Repetitive motion: Performing the same motions day after day can lead to disc herniation. Whether it’s your daily lifestyle, sports, or even work, repetitious movements can significantly weaken one’s discs.
- Improper Lifting: If you are moving heavy objects, it’s important to be aware of how to properly do it. By lifting with your back, you are placing more stress and tension on the discs.
- Injury: Any injuries to the spine or back can be a leading cause of disc herniation. Injuries can cause either tears or bulges of discs.
- Obesity: If an individual is overweight, it can actually cause more pressure or stress on the discs.
- Poor posture & Muscle weakness: When the neck is not properly aligned it is vulnerable to disc herniation with normal activity.
Symptoms of Disc Herniation
When it comes to disc herniation, most patients often complain or experience pain. Given that a herniated disc can happen in different areas of the spine, the location of the spine may vary. If an individual undergoes a minor injury, there might not even be any pain. Pain is often felt when the nerve is impacted. You may all experience dull aches, a burning sensation, tingling/numbness, muscle weakness, or even a loss of bladder.
Chiropractic Care with Botti Chiropractic & Wellness
At Botti Chiropractic & Wellness, our experts are dedicated to our patients. All of our experts have extensive experience in the field and continue working towards improving and expanding their understanding. They are all constantly learning newer methods to treat herniated discs to ease patients and prevent the problem from happening again.
To help our patients heal and find relief, we offer a non-invasive comprehensive treatment plan for disc herniation. Throughout the treatment period, we will work with and guide you on how to navigate your daily life to properly heal. All of our treatment plans have been customized specifically for you.
Call us today for an appointment today and get the customized attention you deserve!
For a list of treatments we offer at Botti Chiropractic & Wellness in Oak lawn, click here!